what is laminating?

This discussion area is for basic structure building concepts. Not intended for advanced concepts.
*Good Example: Balsa can bend with the addition of boiling water.
*Good Example: Triangle is the strongest shape for most applications of bracing.
*Bad Example: Balsa can hold X pounds under these conditions.
*Bad Example: Use this shape for this application.
Basically I want you to think a design through with the basics instead of someone else thinking through your design for you.
zachwang4

what is laminating?

Post by zachwang4 »

I'm new to this site. I see references in some posts to lamination of the balsa. What does that mean? Thanks!
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

Lamination is simply gluing two or more pieces of wood together to make one larger piece.

Plywood, like you would buy at a hardwood store is laminated.
ClarkInMI

Laminating

Post by ClarkInMI »

More specifically, laminating is a type of joint that generally refers to gluing two or more pieces of balsa together along their length. This is as opposed to simply gluing two pieces together where they intersect, as in a joint between a piece of cross bracing and a vertical weight bearing portion of the structure. Such intersection joints are commonly either butt joints (one end glued flush to the side of another piece) or lap joints where two sides are glued where they overlap. Which type of joint (laminated, butt, lap) to use in your structure depends upon what each part of the structure needs to do. Most structures are built using a combination of these basic types of joints.
ClarkInMI
OMCoach08

08-09 Balsa problem

Post by OMCoach08 »

We are a Div.I team, and we want to know if you are allowed to laminate the pieces of wood together in "Shock Wave"? If so, is that succesful? [/b]
GAOM

Post by GAOM »

Yes, lamination is allowed in the 'shockwave' problem this year. I suggest you guys design one,build it, and test it before competition to see if its successful. We really cant tell you what to do or how to do it as the whole outside assistance rules dictate. But, generally laminating is a commonly used technique.

For a new coach I do suggest you use all the resources you can and learn as much about towers as possible. Honestly, a great starting point is online looking for pictures of balsa towers and even videos. Then, I suggest you forge ahead from there and build about 50 practice towers before competition so you get a better understanding of everything. The hardest thing going into a competition is not knowing what to expect because you have never practiced. You will be amazed what a good tower will hold this year.
OMCoach08

balsa wood

Post by OMCoach08 »

We are the Div I team asking more about lamination - is there a limit to the number of pieces of balsa that you can laminate together in the Shock Wave problem. We know this isn't an official site, but has anyone had this?
GAOM

Post by GAOM »

Well.. Im sure no one minds answering any questions you have so long as it doesnt spill into outside assistance. I doubt you'll get much help on winning designs or how to solve the problem at all.

The honest truth is the problem doesnt say anything about lamination at all in it. If its doesnt make it illegal, than its obviously legal. Any design that meets all the requirements is considered legal.

So, obviously you can laminate as many pieces as you like. :) The limit is going to be weight obviously.

Good luck solving this years problem. Its proven to be alot of fun thus far. The balsa problem is challenging and an addicting one. Feel free to post in this years Odyssey section as well. There is one and theres several regulars that visit this site who you might find to be alot of fun.

Return to “Bridges & Towers”